Pages

Thursday, August 3, 2023

Unconventional Memoir's


Generally speaking, the format of most memoirs is fairly predictable. In view of the conversation and advice offered at the Creative Creating Group I participate in, which is to stick to the conventional approach of beginning, middle and end. I knew that there were Memoirs out there that didn't comply with this convention. It set me wondering what was out there in the way of unconventional memoir formats.  I was not disappointed. A quick search revealed the usual plethora of 23 Best Unconventional Memoirs and 10 Of the most unusual Memoirs.  

One that caught my eye was Childhood by Nathalie Sarraute. A strange, rather haunting memoir written when the author was 83 years old. It looks back on her first ten years of life. The memoir takes the form of a conversation between her and her memory and the ensuing dialogue.

Excerpt

CHILDHOOD 

-Then you really are going to do that? "Evoke your childhood 
memories" .... How these words embarrass you, you don't like 
them. But you have to admit that they are the only appropriate 
words. You want to "evoke your memories" ... there's no getting 
away from it, that's what it is. 

-Yes, I can't help it, it tempts me, I don't know why... 

-It could be ... mightn't it be ... we sometimes don't realize ... 
it could be that your forces are declining... 

-No, I don't think so... at least I don't feel they are .. 

-And yet what you want to do ... "to evoke your memories" . 
mightn't that be ... 

-Oh, for heaven's sake ... 

-Yes, the question has to be asked: wouldn't that mean that 
you were retiring? standing aside? abandoning your element, in 
which up to now, as best you could.. 

-Yes, as you say, as best I could . 

-Perhaps, but it's the only one you have ever been able to live 
in. the one . 

-Oh, what's the use? I know all about that. 

For further examples explore these links Powells.com Goodreads.com


No comments:

Post a Comment