Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

iPad - How To Loop a Video - Updated



I needed to have a video loop for one of my Art Show installations. I tried a couple of apps for this, vLoop and Video Looper but I could not get either of them to work. Then I came across a post on one of the Apple forums with the following suggestion:-
1.       Create a folder on your computer called anything you want, mine was “video loop”. Place your video file in here (must be Apple iPad compatible – see below).
2.       Open your iPad in iTunes click Photo tab, tick “Sync Photos from” box and choose folder from drop down options> selected folders, browse to your chosen folder – mine was “video loop” and Sync your iPad.
3.       On iPad, go to Settings> Photos> turn on "Repeat ON" ignore the "Play for Each Slide Timing", this does not matter for this purpose.
4.       Back to desktop, click Photos icon and create a new Album called Loop place your video in this Album. [See update below]
5.       Open Album and choose Slideshow and choose “Start Slideshow”, when you start the video it will now loop continuously.
I find it amazing that there is not an obvious native way of looping a video on any iDevice.

UPDATE: Although the above method worked the first time I tried it when I come to try it with another video it would not work, that is it would not loop. After much head scratching I discovered if I added a second copy of the video to the Album, when I ran the slide-show as above it worked perfectly

FURTHER UPDATE - 13.3.17: I needed to create a looping video display for an exhibition I was mounting last wee. I followed the method outlined above. It would seem that due to an update to iOS since the original post the Slide-show option in iPhoto (Currently iOS 10.2.1) irritatingly appends a Title to the Slide-show, which I cannot find a way of removing it. The Title is based on the Name of the Album. The only work around was to choose an album name than also doubled as an appropriate Slide-show Title. On this occasion I created a blank black slide and made certain this loaded first followed by the video. In the bottom right corer of the screen is an Options Menu which allows you to add music if required and there are options for the slide change, dissolve etc. I used dissolve with no music. The sound track on the video is unaffected. Irritating but  a workaround.

iPad/iPad 2 Supported Video Format
  • H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
  • MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
  • Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.

No comments:

Post a Comment